Monday, September 13, 2010

weekend, hormones, and teacher gift

We had a wonderful weekend this past weekend. On Saturday we hung out for most of the day, Chris went to the HART adoptathon with Rocky. Rocky is a very sweet Greyhound/lab mix who loves to be with his people...but when he is not he chews and destroys crates....so he lives at the vet and we take him to adoptathons. :)

On Sunday we went to church, then out to a BBQ place for lunch, after that we headed to the antique store-where the boys were surprisingly good and Aiden used his saved allowance to buy a bike. When we came home we popped popcorn and watched Ghostbusters 1. (On a side note when I watched that movie as a kid I had horrible nightmares but it didn't bother the boys a bit. Was I a wimp or is it just that kids are exposed to so much more now that ghosts and statues coming alive don't bother them?)


Hormones...

Zach's not mine.

Sigh. He is being such a different boy lately, makes me sad. He told his best neighborhood friend to "Leave" and shut the door in her face today, got a C on a test he didn't study for but could use his book for (if we are being completely honest both Chris and I tried to get him to study but he put up such resistance that we decided he should learn the hard way), and he got in trouble for talking in class.

OK. One by one. Why these things bother me.

1. Telling his best friend to "Leave" First of all that isn't how we treat people. Second of all I know he has all these strange feelings and she can be a bit mean and probably deserved to have the door shut in her face but that's not how we treat people. And third that's just not how we treat people.

2. C on a test. First let me say I don't care about the grade, if he had studied and tried his best I would be happy with a C but he didn't try his best and he didn't study so the C bothers me. AND he didn't care-when I was checking over his paper and I asked him how he felt about getting the C he said he didn't care! This is a child who wants to please the adults around him and who would have been devastated to get a C a year ago.

3. Getting in trouble in class. He never gets in trouble. Never. But he was talking when he shouldn't have been. Sigh. (Side note-the other boy who asked Zach a question didn't get in trouble and the Mama bear in me was not happy about that and wanted to e-mail the teacher but the Papa bear in the family gave me "the look" so I kept my mouth shut and will not e-mail the teacher)

So after all of these events Chris and I sat down with Zach and had a talk about respect. Respect for your friends (no shutting doors in faces), teachers (give them your full attention, study) and parents (study when they tell you to). We also shared stories about study disasters we had in our past- ie not studying and then failing, we told him about asking for help if he needs it-both Chris and I had math tutors in college (mine had a fake nose but that's a story for another day the important thing is it made Zach laugh). (Another side note is that Respect is the virtue of the month at church, hmmmmmmm)

And because no post is complete without pictures. Here are the gifts I gave the boy's teachers at Open House. (Both boys have 2 teachers, Zach has one for Math/Science/Social Studies and one for Reading/Language/Spelling. Aiden has his teacher and an aide that helps 4 children in the room, one of whom is Aiden.)


Each teacher got a bundle of sharpened pencils, a Bliss bar with a note "Hope you have a blissful year," 4 (handmade) chalkboard tags, some blank cards that I sewed apples onto, and a huge, shiny Red Delicious apple.

I know these pics probably would have been much more helpful before the school year started but just look at it as they are really early for next year :)

No comments: