Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Doctors Appointments

I know I have been absent for quite awhile. I've had so many blog posts in my head but not the time to put them in writing. Hopefully with the boys in school full time and settling into a routine I can post Monday-Friday...that's my hope we'll see how I do :)

Last week I took both boys to the Doctor, Aiden needed his 6 month med check and Zach was due for his yearly check-up.

I'll start with Aiden.


We went completely prepared to put Aiden on a medicine to increase his appetite due to lack of growth. At his last appointment he went from the 24th percentile in weight to the 13th and I resisted putting him on the meds at the time-we are already pumping enough chemicals into that boy's body I didn't want to add more but I knew at this appointment that if things hadn't changed he would need to go on more meds...and I was ready but....HOORAY! He gained weight! And grew! Yippee!

His official stats are:
Height:46 inches 24th percentile
Weight: 44lbs 19th percentile

His blood pressure is also steady which is always a concern with stimulants. So for right now he's golden.....

But as most moms of multiple children know when one is golden someone else is not.


First, here are Zach's stats:
Height:58 inches 98th or 99th percentile
Weight:89lbs 94th percentile

That's the good part. One thing I wanted to talk to the Doctor about was Zach's emotions, this past summer he took a 180 from the boy he usually is. He withdrew but at the same time became very clingy to Chris and I. Didn't want to go to friends houses, camps, etc. Things that ordinarily didn't bother him brought tears. I was very concerned. His Doctor listened to me, she's good like that, and then told me.....


wait for it.....



wait for it.....



My 9 year old is pre-pubescent! WHAT! Are you kidding me?



And get this, that's not even the craziest thing she said....


The way to tell when a boy is truly going through puberty is when his testicles and penis start growing!!!!


AAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!


I wanted to run from the room with my hands over my ears singing la,la,la, la, la. Like you did as a kid when your parents told you something you didn't want to hear.

It's not that I didn't realize that he is growing up. I know that. He's almost as tall as I am. He's in fourth grade. Of course I know that eventually his body will begin to change but come on. He's only 9. Just yesterday we were calling him Mr. Peanut and changing his diaper and now the doctor tells me he's full of hormones and parts of his body are going to start to change. What is this world coming to when Doctors can just say those things about your baby?

It's good and all. I never wanted him to stay a baby forever. But I am SO not ready for this. SO very NOT ready for this.

OK. I need to breathe. Hold on.............

I have a book for him by Usborne that I will give him this weekend. I'm hoping he will read it and come to us Chris with any questions he might have.

But I'm telling you right now he's not allowed to date until he is 30. A mom has to draw the line somewhere.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I am giggling...not laughing...because you know I'll be there myself :) I really thought I was going to get out of the overly emotional part with only boys, and I never thought of anything growning-nope never thought about that. Have I told you how much I appreciate you going through this first. hugs

p.s. glad to hear the Aiden is doing good. Great news

Jenny said...

I knew Aiden was looking good, I am so glad for you guys. He is great.

Say what about Zach? Holy cow. 9 is still a baby! Tell that doctor to shut up, not possible. I am sending you hugs across the neighborhoods. Wow. speechless.

Glad you are back to life is good, we missed you.