
On Thursday afternoon Aiden and I headed to the Kindergarten Center for his IEP evaluation. He is just too smart to qualify but they were willing to push him through. I chose not to at this point because his preschool is accommodating him just fine right now. We will head back next year to get him on an IEP for Kindergarten. The benefit for us of doing this is that he will be able to have an aide for his auditory issues (to repeat things if necessary, to guide him through activities when things get to be too much) and even if he doesn't need an aide an IEP will mandate that the teacher HAS to make accommodations for him such as a rubberband around his chair that he can push off of, letting him chew gum (it helps him concentrate), allowing him to have breaks to calm himself, and anything else that would be a benefit to him. I think most teachers would be accommodating to him without the IEP but I would feel better knowing that they don't have a choice and that Aiden will be able to learn in a way that may be different for other children but will be the best way for him.
1 comment:
Hang in there, you are doing everything you need to do. Aiden is so lucky to have you as his mommy.
Post a Comment