Here's a brief update of Zach's life since the end of August....
Although his birthday was in July, Zach waited until August 20th to have his birthday party. He invited 3 friends over to spend the night and they had a blast playing video games, having water fights, and eating....lots and lots of eating.
Zach has to wake up at 7am to catch the bus at 7:30. Needless to say it is a busy, early morning. These pictures were taken after school as I just couldn't get my act together so early in the morning. At first he wanted me to go to the bus stop with him but when none of the other moms were out there he changed his mind.
Zach is loving 5th grade. He is so happy to go to school everyday which is quite a change from last year. He enjoys all his classes and lunch is no longer his favorite subject. After school he is participating in fencing. And he's in Honors Math and hopes to be in Honors Reading next year. He is also in band....playing percussion (!) just like his dad. I'm so proud of the young man he is becoming. Although the hormones are starting to go crazy I still see my sweet boy 80% of the time.
Karate is still a huge part of his life and on September 21st Zach tested for his next belt (orange). He had to demonstrate all of his white belt skills as well as all of his yellow belt skills. He is doing so well and is very dedicated to getting his black belt, sometimes going to class 3 hours a week plus practicing at home.
Here he is line sparring with a classmate during his test. (At this stage they are not allowed to touch each other, it's all about perfecting your kicks and punches).
I have no idea why I don't have a picture of him receiving his belt but here is a picture of him during class in his official Master training shirt. He's on his way to reaching his goal.
On September 24th he participated in a school wide tournament. He did very well especially because it was his first tournament. I'm so proud of him for going after what he wants even when it involves new experiences that he would ordinarily avoid.





2 comments:
Hooray Zach! He is such a hansome boy, I can still see that little face I first met :) 5th grade-geez! Glad he has made such a great adjustment to a new school and all that. Yep, you have lots to be proud of!
Wow, he seems to have just grown up so quick. I saw a little boy at Parker's soccer game last week that looks like a little Zach at 5 years old. So seeing him like this now, is bittersweet. I love that he is fencing. I am reading a book to the kids and the character in it fences. He looks so great in karate class, how cool. I think karate would be so fun. I am always going to the bus stop, I will probably have to hide in the bushes but I'll be there!
Post a Comment