Thursday, October 13, 2011

Aiden



These pictures are in no particular order. There are a lot of them and ordering them would surely drive me over the edge this morning....


This past Sunday Aiden came into our bed super early with a fever. Poor boy. He recovered quickly and was feeling better after sleeping in until 11am. He's still trying to get over the cold that has hit everyone in our family except Zach. He's so peaceful when he's asleep.


Silly boy modeling a mustache from Papa.


I lost some lids behind the lazy susan......


Apparently Aiden can fit back there......


First Day of Second Grade. 

Doesn't the backpack look huge on him.....


Happy Boy. He had a rough start this year. 

We have already had two conferences with his teacher. 

One on the 3rd or 4th day of school because Aiden was coming home in tears. Chris went in and talked to the principal and the teacher. 

And one almost two weeks ago because I was getting the impression that she hadn't read his IEP. I wrote up a long packet for her including all of his "initials" (ADHD, SPD, and dyslexia), how they manifest themselves, what we do at home, what was done in Ohio school, and what we want to happen for him in second grade. It was all color coded and I included direct wording from his IEP about what she HAS to do for him. 

Chris and I are still debating asking for a different teacher but Aiden has settled in fine and he doesn't want to change teachers so we will probably not request a different teacher but you better believe that at the end of the year I will be in the principals office "clarifying" what kind of teacher Aiden needs to have.


Getting on the bus.

Part of me is always sad to see my boys ride away in the big yellow bus but the other part is doing a happy dance in the middle of the street.



Demonstrating his karate skills.


Aiden has been enjoying karate too. Not as much as Zach but he's still happy...most of the time.

Aiden is in a different program than Zach, still the same class but he is a Little Ninja so he doesn't have to test for his belts he just gets to move through them. When he's ready he'll test for his solid yellow belt and then be in the same program as Zach.


Another promotion for Aiden.


Look at those ribs..... 

Aiden lost 2 lbs in 6 weeks. Not good.

We have lowered his dose of medicine and we are hoping his weight goes back up.

We are also seeking out behavior therapy and an OT for him. The process is long and tedious. Right now it's killing me because I'm getting the run around and all I want is help for him. The medical/insurance system drives me absolutely insane.


We do feed him....see.


Aiden found an old kite in the garage. I love that he can run up and down the street trying to fly it without worrying about getting hit by a car.


New haircut. 

A couple days ago he took the scissors to his bangs. 

They are no more.


He built the ride Soarin' from Disney (see the lego feet at the bottom). 

No idea why he felt the need to put it on his head to model....


All in all Aiden is doing well but we are going through a bit of a rough patch with him. He is getting older and more defiant. In recent weeks we've had to deal with biting, kicking, destruction of property- his own and other peoples, "running away from home" (I knew where he was and watched him go, Chris and I split up and cornered him), spitting out his medicine, chasing people with a long metal pole, and general crazy defiant behavior. 

Hence the desire for behavior therapy. 

Sigh. 

Aiden is an amazing, creative, energetic, loving boy.

I just wish all those traits didn't also include mood swings, outbursts, no sleep, and defiance.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hang in there mama. He looks so grown up. I just want to squeeze him. You're right, huge backpack. I also get emotional when they get on the bus. I want to keep mine close to me forever. Don't even get me started on how I think it will be when they go away to college!!! I love it that he is doing karate too. Way to go Aiden! I hope you can get the medicine and school stuff worked out soon. You always do what is best for him, including letting him run away (my mom did the same thing to me and I turned out ok! I think!) so don't fret. By the way, he looks so adorable with his grown up teeth, that kills me. :)