Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Do you ever become so ever become so overwhelmed by all the things you want to post that you feel paralyzed to post anything? 

Well that's where I am right now :) 

I have been super, super busy removing wallpaper, painting, pulling up carpet, mowing the yard, cleaning, laundry and of course cooking and doing fun stuff with the boys.

 I promise to post pics of the house, and all that the boys and I have been up to but for now I'm going to start with the most recent stuff and fill in with the goodies from that last few months as I have time.....so here it goes:

We just got back on Friday from a trip to Chicago

For Chris it was work, for the boys and I it was a mini vacation. 

It was so much fun and what made it better was the free rental car and free hotel. The boys and I had PB&J everyday for lunch making it even cheaper. 

Yippee for cheap Chicago vacations!

On Monday we headed to the Museum of Science and Industry. We took the boys 2 years ago so I wasn't sure they would want to head back but they were all for it and we spent a good 5 1/2 hours exploring. I love that they love learning so much. 

The museum had a special "Bodies" exhibit but they didn't allow pictures inside the exhibit. The boys sort of breezed through and I kept slowing them down and talking to them about what they were seeing. 

Aiden was most interested in the effects of smoking, they had lungs, a "slice" of a smoker's leg and other body parts stained with tar.

Zach was most interested in the effects of fat. Looking the longest at the displays of hearts and movie about cholesterol and artery blockage. As well as staring at the "slice" of a healthy body next to one of an obese body.

Needless to say the exhibit definitely made us all think a little bit more about what we do to our bodies and what we put into them.

This giraffe was in the lobby of the museum. The body exhibit was much the same except with humans. Very, very interesting.

This was a shadow wall. The movie reacted to your shadow and you could "catch" the falling sand. Zach is in the background with his arms in a Y and you can see Aiden up next to the screen with his arms out stretched trying to "catch" what was falling from Zach. 

Made me think about their relationship as brothers. 

Aiden always in Zach's shadow. 

Zach always competing to be the biggest, the most, the first.

Aiden trying to catch his brothers overflow.

Sorry this is blurry. The quote totally made me think of Aiden. "The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers; he is one who asks the right questions." Claude Levi-Strauss

The boys and I in the fun mirrors.

I would have loved to have taken more pictures but I loved exploring, learning, and being with my boys more.

Tuesday we headed to the planetarium. It was pretty run down, not much for the boys to do but they did enjoy the show on constellations and it sparked such an interest for Zach that we are considering a telescope for him for Christmas.
The boys outside the planetarium.


The boys in a simulation of take off.

What trip to the planetarium would be complete with out seeing and taking a picture of a fecal collection bag?

Zach "holding up" the earth.

OK. this is a picture of Target.

After telling the boys about a target in Atlanta that we used to go to that had an escalator for people and one for your cart as well they were all about going to one in Chicago.

 Thank goodness for Google as I was able to find a 2 story target. We headed there after the planetarium and I think the boys would have stayed there all day just going up and down if I had let them.


Wednesday we spent the morning shopping. Container store, IKEA (3 stories tall with cart escalators--we were all in heaven :), land's end outlet. 

Because Wednesday was also Zach's birthday we went to Olive Garden for lunch, I so wish I had remembered to take a picture.

Chris left work early so that we could head out to Navy Pier. I got some pics of the boys by the water.

He may still be my baby, but he's growing up. 

Sniff. Sniff.

And Zach. 

My tween. 

With an attitude to match the title.

Boo.

All of us. Waiting for our speedboat ride to watch the fireworks.

Yes, I said speedboat.

And fireworks.

On Zach's 10th birthday.

What a fun way to top off a great day celebrating a wonderful boy.

On the boat. 

Such excitement :)


Chris took a vacation day on Thursday and all four of us headed to Shedd Aquarium.

Funny side note: 

On the highway one day we passed a sign for Brookfield Zoo and I asked the boys if they wanted to go there instead of the planetarium.

Aiden said "no we're not zoo people, we're museum people." :) Ha!

Luckily they are aquarium people.
Front of Shedd.


They had an exhibit about jellyfish. My favorite exhibit of the day.

A spotted stingray. Love the polka dots.

Boys with the big fish.

Photo taken by Zach.

Dolphin show.



Aiden and I sat in the front row. 

He didn't want anyone to block his view.

He asked questions the whole time. The. Whole. Entire. Time. His mind never stops.


Zach and the otter. For some reason Zach really attached himself to the otters this time.
Maybe it had to do with this shirt?

Harry Otter.

It was $25. Too rich for his blood. And mine. So we took a picture instead.

He bought this otter.

$7

Named him Harry.

They are best friends.

Made me think about how hard 10 must be. Still a child. Yet trying so hard to grow up and be independent.

Last night at the pool. Such fun being thrown by dad.

Zach's too old for that kind of silliness. 

Boo.

 Chicago traffic.

Double Boo.

 At Shedd looking toward Navy Pier.

 Chicago Skyline. From the Fireworks boat.

Best thing I bought.

A dog bed/travel pillow.

Well that was our trip. We had so much fun. I'm glad that I went. I was nervous about the traffic and managing the boys in a big city but I put on my big girl panties and just went for it. 

And it was awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Anonymous said...

SO Glad you enjoyed your trip also.

Love
Dad

Jenny said...

Um I am crying, cos I miss you guys so much. You all look great and your trip looks like a blast. I am jealous of the planetarium for sure. I have never seen the cart escalator, so cool.