Thursday, August 18, 2011

random and family room


A bit of random and then some pics of the family room.

On Saturday Zach took his yellow belt test in Karate.

 And passed. Yay Zach! He has worked super hard and is extremely excited about continuing. I'm excited that he has found something active that he loves doing.

 Remember how I said the boys were doing well keeping their rooms nice.....well last week Aiden threw a tantrum and decided to "rearrange" his room, including his bed, he pulled down the curtains (this pic was after Chris put them back up), and all of the pictures in his room got taken down and rearranged. 

Sigh.

 It is 1:25PM and Aiden is still asleep. The sweet boy is sick today so instead of doing anything on my mile long to-do list I am hanging out in bed with him. (the white streaks in his hair are paint...he helped me with some projects this past weekend :)

And now onto the family room....

Before pic one.....

 blurry before pic 2.....

 Ta-da. Here it is now....I painted the walls a very soft gray/beige (a color the boys helped pick out) it's almost white but not white. I also painted the beams white so they would blend into the ceiling and make the room appear bigger, thankfully it worked :)

 This is looking into the kitchen....more on the kitchen later, we are making progress but it is so not done yet. We keep the family computer in here instead of the playroom because I want to be able to monitor what they are doing and this is the best place to be able to do that. The white slip cover is from www.uglysofas.com. I got it for $30 and it is a "lottery parn" slipcover. (I can't say who it's really from because the tag has their name crossed off but you get the idea.)

The big open doorway off to the left leads into the sunroom...more on that room later too.

 This is the couch wall, pretty self explanatory. I did just buy new end tables from the Thrift Store for $5 each. I plan on painting them yellow, or maybe red to bring some color into this very neutral room.

 Another of the couch wall.

 Chris built these shelves. I love them but they are full already so I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I start scrapbooking again....

Chris also built these shelves for right around $10 a piece. I am excited to be able to fill them up with all of our family photos once again.

 A reminder of before....

 ....and after!

With the exception of the beams this was by far one of the easiest rooms to paint. 

A break down of what we have done so far:
*replaced all the outlets and lightswitches
*replaced the sconces beside the fireplace
*painted the walls and beams
*replaced the heating vents
*built bookshelves
*built photo ledges

Still to do:
*make curtains (my mom helped me pick out the fabric and I'm SO excited about making them and getting them up, hopefully next week but maybe not until the kids go back to school on the 31st.)
*paint the window trim
*there are quite a few places on the walls that I need to touch up
*order large family picture for above the fireplace
*put more pictures on the photo ledges
*paint new tables and get them into the room

I'm very happy with how this room is coming along and with all the work we've done. Yay us!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Look out HGTV the Palmers are going to have their own show soon! It looks so great. I am loving the white and light walls.