Today was Aiden's evaluation at Children's. Their job was to take all of his symptoms, characteristics, etc and make a diagnosis as to what was going on with him. As of today not only does Aiden have Sensory Processing Disorder he also has been diagnosed with
Inattentive ADHD. So.....at this point there isn't any thing else we can do but that has never stopped us before :) Chris and I will be going to a parenting class with parents of children with ADHD. In terms of the hospital they will see him again in October/November where it will be decided if he should go in for another speech evaluation- not so much his articulation as his understanding of words. That will set us up for a meeting with the school for his Kindergarten IEP.
On a more emotional note, I am so sad for him. I know that we will handle things and do what's best for him, the same that we have always done for our boys. I am sad that he wants so much to be JUST like his brother and becomes so SAD when he can't be, and it's not just an age thing. He is a wonderful child, different from Zach, but a wonderful different. I hope that someday he knows that. I hope he knows how much he is loved for being him.
I also worry what this label is going to do for him. I don't want teachers to see the label then the child, I want them to see the child then the diagnosis. I know he will learn to deal with his weaknesses, and knowing him he will turn them into strengths. I just wish his path was smoother with fewer potholes.
1 comment:
You hang in there Mom! Aiden is lucky to have such a strong family. He'll know how much he's loved, because you will show him!
Post a Comment