
“Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.” —Ann Landers |
We are not here to be rich or beautiful or cool or right. We are here simply to love and care for one another. As more and more people discover this, the world will change in ways we have not even imagined.
Ron Atchison
The Mayor of Inspiration Peak
Instead of having a whole bunch of New Years Resolutions that I won't follow I have a word for the year. A word that I try to live out, to think about all year long. In the past I have had Enjoy, Gratitude, and Simplify. This year I chose Love.
For me it started with a Bible Study that I was in in the Fall. It was titled "Lord, Change My Attitude" by James MacDonald. It was a 12 week study and in weeks 5 and 6 we learned how to trade a critical attitude for one of Love. There were two concepts that came out of those weeks that hit me over the head and stuck with me.
1. The concept of "You before Me" James MacDonald says this:
"Agape is selfless love, giving love. In can be summarized as "you before me." It describes love as an act of the will. It's a choice you make to put someone else's best interests above your own. Too often when people use the word "love," what they're really saying is, "I feel something." Tragically, what people often mean when they say, "I love you," is not "I've made a commitment to place your needs above my own," but instead, "I love what you do for me. You make me feel good. You are working right now for the person I love most--me." That isn't love; that's selfishness. If you build a relationship on that, you're going to have difficult days ahead."
For moms we often love our children with selfless love, but what about our husbands? Sure we love them but do we love them with a selfless love. I noticed when I started to show Chris a selfless love we fought less and gave more to each other. I wasn't the one always giving or the one always taking. I still fall into old patterns of selfishness but I am trying to do better.
2. The concept of Love is Kind. James MacDonald says this:
"Love is Kind. Have you ever noticed how much of Christ's life was spent in doing kind things? He spent a huge proportion of His time simple doing good. Love cares more for others than for itself. Kindness is often made obvious by what you say. keep your words free of petty criticism and focus on words that will build others up.
Make it personal...It's easy to be kind to some people. Others are more difficult. Let someone in this second group test God's Spirit's power in you. anyone can love a lovely person. Are you kind to those who make you crazy? If yes, then rejoice that the Spirit is in control."
Now, I consider myself a kind person but it's hard to be kind to the people who drive me crazy. Especially those that I feel don't do what they are supposed to do but even when I really, really, REALLY, want to criticize I am trying to speak with kindness and love. It's a very hard thing for me to put into practice which is part of the reason that I need to work on it this year.
1 comment:
All I can say is "thank you."
Post a Comment